- Master of Arts in Exercise Physiology, University of Maryland, with a special interest in Metabolic Physiology
- Bachelor of Science in Kinesiological Sciences, University of Maryland
- National Strength and Conditioning Association (N.S.C.A.) Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
- American Council on Exercise (A.C.E.) Certified Group Exercise Instructor
- Healthy Moms? Pre/Post Natal Fitness Instructor Certification
- ISCA/Promise Enterprises Certified Kickboxing Instructor
- Wellcoaches Fitness Coaching Certification
- IDEA: The Association for Fitness Professionals
Corporate Wellness Experience
During my corporate years from 1993-2001, I was the manager of Marriott International's Wellness & You! health promotion program, earning the prestigious C. Everett Koop National Health Award for Wellness & You!. I enjoyed coordinating an array of monthly programs including various health screenings, classes, seminars, and wellness incentive programs. It was an honor to be asked to testify before the White House Commission on Complementary and Alternative Medicine Policy (WHCCAMP) regarding wellness in the workplace, providing specific recommendations for public policy and legislation in this area to be submitted to the President through the Secretary of Health and Human Services.
While at Marriott, the areas I most specialized in include:
- Motivational Health and Wellness Seminars
When I started presenting seminars for Marriott corporate headquarters associates, I was often complimented on having a contagious enthusiasm for making health and fitness fit into real life. I was proud of how widely my seminars were requested among different departments and hotel properties.
- Individual Wellness Counseling
Our comprehensive Health Appraisal program was designed to help participants establish their wellness goals and priorities. It was very rewarding to educate and motivate people one-on-one in a host of areas, including nutrition, fitness, weight loss, stress, blood pressure, cholesterol, heart disease and cancer prevention.
- The "Taking Charge" Weight Management Program
Unsatisfied with the "canned" weight programs available, I decided to create my own program: "Taking Charge: Managing Your Weight and Health for a Lifetime". This popular 12-week program taught participants to adopt a long-term philosophy on weight and health management and how to make it work with their lifestyle.
- Training Group Fitness Instructors
With my roots in Exercise Physiology and a love of group exercise, I continued to consult for Marriott's Corporate Fitness Facility, training instructors and having a great time teaching energetic step aerobics, strength-n-tone, and kick-boxing classes.
Get Fitness InSight! Call Cathy at 301-742-1815 or click here to contact Cathy via e-mail.